Sunday, April 20, 2008

Boy's Lacrosse State Championship Game

I spent last night working at the Inaugural Florida High School Athletics Association Lacrosse Finals at West Orange High School in Winter Garden, Fla. Local favorite Lake Brantley High School came up short in its bid for a state championship, losing to perennial lacrosse power St. Andrew's High School.

You can read my complete story here.

While I was covering the event I noticed two things. Plenty of fans were complaining that St. Andrews has an advantage because it's a private school that can recruit and that private schools should be lumped into their own state championship. That's a fairly interesting point, and imagine the impact it could have on other sports like football, basketball and track.

Also, the crowd for the game was amazing. I didn't have an opportunity to include it in my story because I didn't get a concrete number before deadline. But at halftime the paid attendance at the game was over 1,300. I never realized what a revenue generator lacrosse is, and if promoted the right way it could become the football of the spring for Florida high schools.

What do you think? Should private schools get their own athletic classification? Did you know high school lacrosse was such a big deal in high school?

No comments: