Friday, April 18, 2008

Class 2A Region II Track Meet

Yesterday I was dispatched by the Orlando Sentinel to cover a track meet. Luckily it was close to home, at Lake Highland Prep, which is also one of my favorite places to watch a meet. It was a little different than usual as reporters were there from Lakeland, Citrus County and The Villages. This meant I spent most of the night writing my story from a crouch similar to that of a catcher, with my laptop balanced on a CD player/sound system in front of me. Thank God for all those innings I spent catching in my slow pitch softball league.

You can read my complete story here.

There were a lot of interesting story lines to play of off, but I decided since Lake Highland won the meet I would focus the story on them.

There was one minor hiccup regarding the agate. The sports desk told me that they'd be receiving it directly from the timing company, so I didn't have to do it. Unfortunately, at 10:15 (30 minutes before deadline) the desk called and told me the didn't have it. Of course everyone was already gone from the meet and the Lake Highland coach told me he'd have the guy send it in less than 20 minutes. Not sure if it made it in the first edition or not, since I haven't seen the paper today.

Either way I've got a busy next couple of days, state lacrosse is tomorrow, then it's the Magic-Raptors on Sunday, followed by five days of the state tennis tournament. Not to mention I've got a few more articles to write for the next edition of the Chronicle. Either way, it should be a fun next week or so.

No comments: