Sunday, April 13, 2008

Oviedo Water Polo

For the second consecutive week I wrote an article about the aquatics community in Oviedo, Fla. Last week I focused on the youth swimming programs at the Oviedo Aquatic Center. This week I spoke with Oviedo High School Water Polo Coach Charlie Rose about his team's progress this season.

You can read the full story here. (Photo by Ed Ruping, Seminole Chronicle).


What I found interesting about this article, is that the turnout for the program wasn't that great. I know the sports climate is different in Florida than it is in Oregon, where I grew up, but it seems to me a school with over 2,000 students shouldn't have a problem with participation numbers for any sport.

I don't think the problem lies with Rose or his staff, but perhaps high school kids just aren't as into sports as they used to be. There's plenty of other activities that keep young people busy, so maybe sports are taking the back burner.

What do you think?

No comments: